Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Were it not for a friend who is a master at both sewing and quilting, I might not be passionately sewing today.  When my children were young, I purchased my first sewing machine in the early 1980s.  I was hooked on sewing girls dresses and Halloween costumes.   As my children grew, I wanted a career and ended up working in education for 24 years.  Not unlike many working mothers, sewing was set aside and my sewing machine sat idle for 20 years.

My passion didn't grow overnight, but I was encouraged to get back into sewing and I love what I'm doing and am so lucky to do it.  I gave my old sewing machine away, bought a new computerized one, a serger, and an embroidery machine.  My repertoire now includes sewing, quilting, knitting, crochet and lampworking (thus the beads).  I've taken a pattern making class and embroidery class at a local college and continue to learn both online and in workshops.

I am a proud member of the American Sewing Guild, Pattern Review, Craftsy (tons of classes), the Peninsula Wearable Art Guild and now, the RTW Fasters!

To begin, I've sewed a dress, a top and a dress for each of my granddaughters.  The Top is Vogue 8793 by Katherine Tilton, the dress is McCalls 5974 and the little girl's dress is Family Reunion Dress Pattern by oliver + s.









1 comment:

  1. Wow, you have been busy. I really like the top. Interesting fabric.

    ReplyDelete